Monday, February 8, 2010

A Forrest Returns

I found myself way out in left field while listening to David Maywhoor speak about the Buckeye Forrest Council. I had never heard anything about prescribed burns and forrest fires before he was in our class. I learned a great deal about what the BFC does, and what they are trying to accomplish. I interested and concerned when spoke about what happened in Haiti, and the after effects of such deforestation in that country. Because of how the earthquake shook up the ground and the soil underneath it, the rainy season will bring devastating mudslides to the area. This comes as a result of taking trees out of the ground where they would be able to help keep the soil somewhat firm, and stop the hill from producing a terrible mudslide. I am glad to have been able to hear David speak and learned a little bit more about what goes on in our forests.

No comments:

Post a Comment